fbpx

Hole in Muffler

Q: Is driving a car with a hole in the muffler dangerous?

A: A hole in the muffler may allow exhaust gases to enter the car’s passenger cabin. Carbon monoxide, a toxic substance in exhaust, comes from the burning of fossil fuels (e.g., gasoline and diesel) and is colorless, tasteless, and odorless. It is a very dangerous and deadly gas. When inhaled, carbon monoxide enters the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, carbon monoxide displaces oxygen and thereby reduces the body’s ability to absorb and transport oxygen to vital organs. I would recommend replacing the muffler to minimize the chance of breathing in these fumes.